August 4, 2013

Serious summer sewing

Last Friday was the hottest day of the year so far. Un-Dutch weather, to be honest.
I don't have a lot of clothes for seriously hot weather. In fact, the only thing which I really like to wear in a heat wave is the loose fitting viscose playsuit I made last year. I have lots of charming dresses which work great for normal Dutch summer weather but for 30 degrees Celsius, they're just too fitted and the skirt are too long.

So, I made this. It was also a great opportunity to use up some pretty small scraps of fabric. The fitted tube top bodice is in nice quality (obviously, recovery is very important for a garment like this) cotton jersey, its top edge is finished with picot elastic. The bottom, a very short version of these culottes (flared, without center pleats) is made from linen left over from E's plain black shorts. There are pockets but closures, I pull it on over my hips. I wasn't sure that would work but it did.


We are in for a some more warm days and I have my summer holiday yet to come, so I think I will still get some use out of this playsuit this year.

7 comments:

  1. Nice! That first photo looks super glam (like it was taken on the balcony on some en-route hotel in Monte Carlso-the ones that look out onto the race). Also bonus points for mixing two fabrics-I couldn't tell from the pics that the lower one wasn't jersey.. Does that have a built in shelf bra or are you wearing separates inside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an absolutely gorgeous little summer-y outfit! and you do look ultra glam in your pictures :) although "heatwave" is a relative term, hehe, I call 30C a perfectly lovely summer's day and a heatwave is like a week of over 40C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is a perfect day to wear it again I think! Great idea to make your suit with culottes, I'm wearing a skirt right now, which is not that comfortable in this weather. You look elegant and cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, gorgeous. you look great in your tube-culottes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this - very clever and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - very glamorous and super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful photos; your legs are a million miles long! It's a very elegant garment on you.

    ReplyDelete